Tags

, , , , , , ,

Miko is up the ladder without a plan!

Help! Miko is up the ladder without a plan!

As you know if you’ve been reading my blog for the past couple of weeks. I am participating in NaNoWrMo, National Novel Writing Month.

I used to write when I was younger, less so after I joined the work force, and I thought this would be a good challenge for me as I have increasingly been visited by the thought that I really could finish some of my “works in progress” and make them readable if only I would knuckle down and write.

NaNoWriMo has me writing about 1700 words a day on one project I have called “The Echoes.” It’s mostly fantasy (I can’t call it SF, because I always think of Isaac Asimov when I think of Science Fiction, and this is nothing at all like his stuff.)

I’m working on it like I work on my quilting. I write everyday with a specific goal in mind.  For this month, the goal has been set for me: 1667 words.

So, after a couple of weeks, I realized I was writing much more than that because I discovered if I just set out to write without a plan, even knowing my main characters very well, they sit around and think too much. Not good for a novel. I need a plan.

It turns out, that I need a plan while quilting as well. My vision for the black and red and white quilt wasn’t working out, and I couldn’t understand why. I had set out to produce just one B&W 16-patch and one Kansas Dugout X block a day (with several others in various stages of completion.

I put them up on the design wall and was very “meh” about the resulting quilt.  Both my sister and my mother commented on the red X blocks. I guess they were just too much of a contrast to the black and white blocks. But, I dislike throwing out work, so I revised.

Barbara Brackman's Civil War blocks in a "lightning" or zigzag setting.

Barbara Brackman’s Civil War blocks in a “lightning” or zigzag setting.

I am taking the black and white blocks and setting them in a zigzag, the way I did for Barbara Brackman’s Civil War Sampler block-of-the-month blocks. The zig zag in this case will be red.

Originally, I had planned to take apart the X blocks and use them as a sort of “rick-rack” border. This is not going to work because the red I bought to do the “lightning” sashing will not match the red of my X blocks.

So, the X blocks may end up as X blocks with other blocks in between. Maybe snowballs. Those would work up fast, and I could use the centers of the snowballs to quilt a motif.

And, I hope to have enough of the lightning sashing on the 16-patches to show you a photo my progress next week.

Until then, I will have to bask in the knowledge that I finally do have a (sort of) outline, and I’m halfway through NaNoWriMo and halfway through writing The Echoes.  Maybe the stars will line up, and both projects will be worth sharing in the future.

Advertisements