Tags

, , , , ,

The Quilt That Shall Remain Nameless finally emerges from the closet.

The Quilt That Shall Remain Nameless finally emerges from the closet.

This year has been a long, creatively fruitful, “dry” spell for me.

“Creatively fruitful” because I’ve started a boatload of projects simply because I’ve been inspired to try, to understand, to play, or to write.

“Dry,” of course, because I haven’t actually finished anything. (Well, unless you count the two cloth bags I made to carry my display wire crating for my jewelry business.)

The corner shows a machine applied binding (with flange.)

The corner shows a machine applied binding (with flange.)

Well, the Big News in this post is that I actually have finished a quilt.  It is the dreaded Quilt That Shall Remain Nameless.

The pattern is one that I started testing back in December for The Quilt Pattern Magazine which is an e-magazine (i.e. published online only.) It was published in May (although I didn’t realize it until July) and called Freedom’s Colors.

I guess, since in my past posts I whined about this pattern,  I should mention that the biggest problem I had with it was that it was organized in a different way than I usually work.  Testing patterns means working it exactly as specified by the designer/author and I found that difficult.

The actually sewing wasn’t too bad, and I really like the design of the center, but the borders are too fussy for me.

The third block for Aiming for Accuracy. (I haven't started number 4 yet.)

The third block for Aiming for Accuracy. (I haven’t started number 4 yet.)

I quilted it on Cricket and Jeff’s long arm (a.k.a. The Beast) with their new Statler Stitcher, Einstein. With the learning curve (and re-learning curve because I haven’t used the long arm in over 6 months) the quilt took 2 days (8 hours + 6 hours) to quilt.

At first, I was unsure about the pantograph I chose, but, in the end, I really like it. Its curvy swirls are perfect for the fussy straight lines of the piecing, and the quilt itself didn’t suffer from being quilted totally with  a pantograph even though there are 8 borders I could have quilted individually.

My other projects: I’ve finished sashing the individual blocks of Grandmother’s Choice and have started putting them together into a top. I suspect that I will use  another all-over pantograph on this when it’s done since The Quilt That Shall Remain Nameless turned out so well.

I’m cutting fabrics for the next block in Aiming for Accuracy, and sewing the blocks together for Grandmother’s Choice.  This leaves me actively working on two of the five projects left from the list of seven I named as priority projects in June.

So, progress. …And there was great rejoicing.

Advertisements