Tags

, , , , , ,

This was the only picture I took on my trip.  Maybe I can use it as a "color guide", but, probably not.

This was the only picture I took on my trip. Maybe I can use it as a “color guide”, but, ugh, probably not.

I was all excited about writing a blog-i-versary post, but I didn’t.

I even found a great book to review: Japanese Quilting, Piece by Piece.  What could have been more apropos? (I haven’t finished reading it yet.)

I went to Pittsburgh to visit my mom.  She’s getting over being sick, so, basically, I went to the grocery store several times, cooked a few times and did lots of hand work.

I’m up to 11 hexagons in Stars for Malcolm. I still haven’t decided whether or not I’m going to hand quilt it, but I do have an idea of how to quilt it.

This only goes to show me that when I start thinking about how to quilt ONE quilt, ideas for the others sometimes come bubbling up to the surface. Why can’t they be there ALL the time??

Speaking of quilting, I started marking the Christmas Dear Jane quilt even though I don’t have ideas for all the stripes.

Unfortunately, I got to the third stripe and placed the quilting motifs wrong…after I marked 3/4 of the row! Normally, this would not have been a problem, but I was using the washable markers by that point, so I had to totally immerse the quilt top in water to take the markings out so I can re-mark that row and that “erased” stripes one and two as well.

The first two rows need to be re-marked now...

The first two rows need to be re-marked now…

*sigh*

BUT, They’re gonna look great when I finally quilt, them.

I’ve been using the light table to mark this quilt.  It’s not something I usually do, but I didn’t want to make complicated templates for motifs I was only using on one or two rows.

Of course, the quilt top would probably  have been easier to mark with templates, especially since I’m now marking the rows more times than I planned! Let’s just hope I only make the ONE mistake and don’t have to wash and re-mark the top again!

I also started the Aiming for Accuracy quilt-along (and, for now, that’s what I’m calling this quilt!)

A couple of weeks ago, everyone was picking their fabric and cutting out the main stuff. Probably more efficient, but I don’t like to work that way.

I pick “color families” and then pull the fabric I feel like working with when I have to sew the block.

I decided on “brown, beige, taupe with black and red (as the zinger.)”

It turns out that this colorway, means I get to play with my Japanese fabrics (by this I mean fabrics actually printed in Japan, as opposed to “oriental” inspired fabrics printed in the US…not that I don’t have plenty of those…)

So, that’s what I’ve been up to during my “period of silence.”  Hope everyone has been more productive than me!

Advertisements