Aiming for Accuracy, barbara brackman, Barbara Brackman Grandmother's Choice, Dear Jane, handquilting, longarm quilting, machine quilting, My Heart is in the Work, priority projects, quilting, Starina, Stars for Malcolm, The Quilt That Shall Remain Nameless, UFO. WIP
I’ve been looking over my Excel Spreadsheet of projects and realized that I haven’t finished ANYTHING this year.
Well, anything quilt-related.
It’s been a banner year for me in terms of piecing creativity. I’ve bounced from project to project with barely any downtime.
The problem, of course, is my “downtime” is the actual FINISHING of the projects: the designing of quilting motifs, the marking, the actual quilting, etc.
So, as I reflect on the first half of the year (easy for me to do as the beginning of June is my birthday), I realize that unless I take myself by the hand, I will continue to start lots and finish nothing for the rest of the year.
I’ve decided that I’m going to try to name a few projects and “priority projects” so I can at least give lip service to my “word of the year” (from Quilting for the Rest of Us/Sandy’s blog.) Mine was completion.
Following is a list of what I’m going to concentrate on for the rest of the year. I won’t say that other projects will not slip in. In fact, I am planning on making some clothes and other “around the apartment” projects, but these are the “quilty things” I want to concentrate on for the rest of the year. (In no particular order…)
Finish the Sunflower Lattice top. This is pretty much a given as I’ve only got the center seam to sew, but every now and then you have to throw yourself an easy one.
- Turn my Grandmother’s Choice blocks into a top: add sashing/border, etc. I’ve got it up on my design wall and am happily switching around the blocks to see what order I’m going to put them together.
- My only new project is going to be to try to participate in the Aiming for Accuracy Quilt Along. I don’t know how long I’ll participate, but I’m been kind of lackadaisical about my sewing skills, so I thought I could use a “tune up.”
- Continue hand-piecing Stars for Malcolm whenever I travel. I don’t foresee any level of completion for this project, but I really like it as a traveling/hand project. Depending on my travel schedule, maybe I’ll decide I have enough hexagons to call it complete by the end of the year.
- Design, mark and quilt the top I made from the Xmas block exchanges from the original “Dear Jane” list. It’s been a while and I did finish the Spring blocks, so it’s entirely possible for this one to get done-done.
- Finish The Quilt That Shall Remain Nameless. If I hurry I can get it done before the pattern is published, but, really, how likely is that?
- Speaking of “Dear Jane,” I would like to get my version, My Heart is in the Work sandwiched on the long arm. Mom said she was having so much fun quilting my sister’s (which was actually made by Diane’s mother-in-law) that she asked if I wanted her to do mine as well. Like I’m going to pass that offer up!
- I am planning on starting to hand quilt Starina. I just need to piece a back for her, so I think I will use some of the yardage hanging in my closet.
I would like to get at least ONE of these projects done-done by the end of the year and two quilts completed and ready for my Guild’s show in May. I think I may be able to do it. If not any of these projects, then, maybe, one of my other 20+ tops…